- Students must earn a minimum of 25% of their degree requirements at Virginia Tech.
- No more than 50% of a student’s graduation requirements can be transferred from a two-year institution.
- Of the last 45 semester hours before graduation, a maximum of 18 semester hours may be transfer hours. (27 of the last 45 hours must be taken at Virginia Tech.)
- Students are allowed a maximum of 10% of the course work taken at Virginia Tech on a P/F basis.
- Students with a 120 hour program and no transfer hours are allowed 12 hours P/F.
- Students with a 120 hour program and 60 transfer hours are allowed 6 hours P/F.
- AP, AS, CBE, NOCTI, etc are not considered transfer hours.
- Pursuing a 2nd degree does not allow students an additional 3 hours of P/F credit.
- University core, college, and major requirements cannot be taken on a P/F basis (unless only offered on a P/F basis).
- Students may not repeat courses to improve their GPA where a grade of "C" or better has been earned. (A grade of A-D will be changed to P/F if it is determined the course was previously passed with a "C" or better.)
- Students are only allowed 2 credits of Activities courses (HNFE 11XX-13XX). Examples – tennis, racquetball, weight training, etc. Exceptions are HNFE/EHP (allowed 3 hrs) and PHED (allowed 5 hrs) majors.
- Students will not receive credit toward the minimum hours required for graduation for courses that are considered duplicates of courses previously passed.
- Students who do not complete the University Foreign Language requirement by completing 2 years of the same FL in high school must take 1105 and 1106 of a FL at the college level. These hours will not count toward the minimum hours required for graduation.
- Students must have a minimum overall and in-major GPA of 2.00 to graduate. (Some departments may require a higher GPA for graduation in their degree program.)
- Distinction – students must have completed at least 60 credit hours at Virginia Tech and earn an overall GPA of 3.40 or above to qualify for Distinction.
- GPA of 3.40 - 3.59 earn Cum Laude
- GPA of 3.60 - 3.79 earn Magna Cum Laude
- GPA of 3.80 - 4.00 earn Summa Cum Laude
- Students wishing to pursue a 2nd Undergraduate degree must complete an additional 30 hours over the minimum required for their 1st degree.
- 1st degree = 120 hours minimum - 2nd degree would require 150 hours minimum.
- 1st degree = 125 hours minimum - 2nd degree would require 155 hours minimum.
Our office is located in Student Services Building, Suite 250. Our business hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday with the exception of holidays.
Office of the University Registrar (MC 0134)
Student Services Building, Suite 250, Virginia Tech
800 Washington St., SW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Phone: (540) 231-6252
- Virginia's State Parks - artwork by Margie Lucas - 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM 2nd floor west wing of Norris Hall
- Art in the Garden: Four Seasons in Blacksburg with Anne Hammond-Tooke - 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Peggy Lee Hahn Garden Pavilion
- Moss Arts Center exhibitions: Artists and Architecture - 10:00 AM - 5:30 PM Moss Arts Center
- Corps of Cadets Blood Drive - 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM Squires Old Dominion Ballroom
- Art Exhibit: "Hope" Annual Children and Teen Art Exhibit Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King Junior - 12:00 PM - 9:00 PM Squires Perspective Gallery