FAQ: Transfer Credit

Q: Where do I mail transcripts to Virginia Tech?
A: New students should send their transcripts to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Contact admissions@vt.edu for information on where to send transcripts.

Students currently attending Virginia Tech will need to have their transfer transcripts mailed to the Office of the University Registrar at the following address for evaluation and processing of transfer credits:

Office of the University Registrar (MC 0134)
Student Services Building
Suite 250, Virginia Tech
800 Washington Street SW
Blacksburg, VA 24061

Q: Can I deliver my transcript from another institution in person to the Office of the University Registrar?
A: Yes, you may hand-deliver an official transcript to the Office of the University Registrar. The transcript must be in the original sealed envelope from the college to be considered official. If the envelope has been opened, we cannot accept the transcript. You must also bring your Hokie Passport when you bring the transcript to our office. Please note that this does not speed up the processing time for your transcript.

Q: How can I verify that my transcripts were received by the Office of the University Registrar?
A: Once your official transcript has been received by the Office of the University Registrar it will be “logged” and a message will appear in your Hokie Spa stating that we received it. It takes 24-48 hours for your transcript to be logged and up to one week during our peak times (May through September).

Q: How can I tell that my transcript has been processed?
A: Once your transcript has been evaluated and processed you will be able to view your transfer credits in your Hokie Spa account. The evaluation and processing time is 3-5 business days and up to 30 days during our peak times (May through September).

To view the transfer credit section of your Hokie Spa account you will need to click the Hokie Spa tab, click Grades Menu, and click Transfer and Other Additional Credit Information.

For information on how your transfer work will be applied toward your major and/or graduation requirements or your General Education (Curriculum for Liberal Education) requirements you will need to contact your advisor.

Q: Why does my transfer course still indicate “In-Progress”?
A: When a transfer course shows as “In Progress” in your Hokie Spa account it means that your transcript did not have a grade for that course. To receive transfer credit for the course you will need to have an updated official transcript sent to the Office of the University Registrar at Virginia Tech. 

Q: What is the difference between a Native VCCS degree and a Non-Native VCCS degree?
A: For a VCCS appropriate Associate Degree to be considered “native” you must have taken all of your courses at a community college that is a part of the Virginia Community College System (VCCS).  The degree will be considered “non-native” if any transfer work has been applied to the associate degree from a non-VCCS college. 

Q: I am a currently enrolled VT student and I want to take a course at home over the summer. What do I do?
A: Students are required to fill out a pre-authorization form prior to taking courses at another college to transfer to Virginia Tech for credit (this includes education abroad experiences). Contact your academic advisor for information on the pre-authorization process and to fill out the appropriate form. 

Q: I took a course at VT and did not make the necessary grade for my major. Can I take the course at another institution and transfer it in to meet the grade requirement?
A: While a passing grade (grade of D- or higher) at Virginia Tech will not be replaced by transfer credit, students may speak with their academic advisors to determine the departmental policy for meeting course grade requirements with transfer credit.