Eligibility to Vote in the Commonwealth of Virginia
In order to be eligible to vote in Virginia, an individual must meet the following criteria:
- be a resident of Virginia (a person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes).
- be a U. S. Citizen.
- be 18 years old (any person who is 17 years old and will be eighteen years of age at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and also vote in any intervening primary or special election).
- not be registered and plan to vote in another state.
- not currently declared mentally incompetent by a court of law.
- if convicted of a felony, your right to vote must have been restored.
Deadline for Registering to Vote
Voter registration in Virginia is closed for the twenty-two (22) days prior to the General and Primary elections.
Complete the Application for Voter Registration
You may obtain a voter registration application from any of the following places:
- Online Registration
- Local Voter Registration Office
- Download a PDF Registration Form
- Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Offices
Find my Virginia Polling Location
Virginia residents who are registered to vote can locate their poll location by visiting the Virginia - Department of Elections and entering their home address.
Voter Information by State
For more information regarding the process of registering to vote in the state in which you are a resident or registration to vote by absentee ballot in your home state, please visit the United States Election Assistance Commission Website and select your state.
For additional information regarding elections within the Commonwealth of Virginia please visit the Virginia - Department of Elections.
Our office is located in Student Services Building, Suite 250. Our business hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday with the exception of holidays.
Office of the University Registrar (MC 0134)
Student Services Building, Suite 250, Virginia Tech
800 Washington St., SW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Phone: (540) 231-6252
- "Truth" Annual Martin Luther King Children's Art Exhibit 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- 2018 Uplifting Black Men Conference 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM The Inn at Virginia Tech
- Home Fruit Production Workshops 9:30 AM - 2:30 PM Hahn Horticulture Garden Pavilion/Smithfield
- Moss Arts Center Exhibition: Ray Kass 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM All galleries, Moss Arts Center, 190 Alumni Mall, Blacksburg, VA 24061
- Art Exhibit: Ray Kass "Silk & Water" 12:00 PM - 9:00 PM Squires Student Center 2nd Floor