Creating or Changing a Preferred Name
Students may choose to identify themselves with a preferred first name that differs from their legal name. This preferred name will be used on class rosters and other places where we do not need to use your legal name. However, legal names are necessary for documents such as, financial aid documents, payroll, official transcripts, diplomas, and federal immigration documents.
Preferred names that are found to include use for purposes of fraud or misrepresentation and/or containing inappropriate or offensive language may be denied or removed.
To create or change a preferred first name fill out a Request for Preferred Name Change form.
Legal Name Changes to Student Records
- Complete a Request for Legal Name Change form. Present a picture I.D. and legal documentation in support of the new name to our office.
- You may write a letter of request and send to our office. Please note that the letter should include specific instructions and legal documentation.
The following information must be included in the request:
- Complete legal name (former)
- Complete new legal name (current)
- Social Security Number and/or student identification number
- Dates of attendance at Virginia Tech
- Return address
- Daytime telephone number and/or email address
- Complete legal signature, reflecting full legal name
Please provide a copy of one of the following documents in Section A combined with a differnet document from Section A or Section B. You may provide two documents from Section A, but cannot provide two documents from Section B.
||Social Security Card
|Other Photo ID (HOKIE passport is not accepted)
- Note: If a student is currently or has ever been employed by Virginia Tech, he/she must provide a copy of his/her corrected Social Security card in addition to supporting documentation before the name change can be processed. If this is not provided, the name change will not be processed.
- Faxed requests will not be honored.
- Graduate Students will need to contact the Graduate School (firstname.lastname@example.org) or (540) 231-6691
- Vet Med students will need to contact the College of Veterinary Medicine (email@example.com) or (540) 231-7666.