Important Information Regarding AP and IB Credit for all NEW Students
- Advanced Placement (AP) Credit
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- University of Cambridge International Examinations
AP scores are received electronically from the College Board. May exam scores directed to Virginia Tech are received in July. Thereafter, scores are received weekly through August, then every 3-4 weeks. AP/IB Credit can be seen on Hokie SPA within three business days of Virginia Tech receiving the scores. If scores were not directed to the Office of the University Registrar at Virginia Tech (school code 5859), you may contact the College Board at (888) 308-0013. A maximum of 38 hours may be awarded.
Virginia Tech recognizes the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program and awards IB credits based on earning a Certificate or a Diploma. Virginia Tech will accept these scores electronically from the testing agency. Please contact the agency to request that scores be sent directly to Virginia Tech (school code 5859) at www.ibo.org. Student score report copies will not be accepted.
Transcripts for May exams are received at the end of July. Thereafter, transcripts are received monthly. IB credit is viewable on Hokie Spa under the grades menu.
With the IB Diploma, credit is awarded for Higher Level (HL) courses based on minimum scores shown in the HL Credit Table. Credit for only one Standard Level (SL) course is awarded provided a minimum score of 6 is earned. In addition, credit is awarded for Theory of Knowledge with a grade of C or higher and Extended Essay with a grade of C or higher. A maximum of 38 hours may be awarded.
With the IB Certificate, credit is awarded for Higher Level (HL) courses based on minimum scores shown in the HL Credit Table. No credit is awarded for Standard Level (SL) courses. In addition, no credit is awarded for Theory of Knowledge or Extended Essay. A maximum of 30 hours may be awarded.
- IB Equivalents Accepted for Students Entering Summer or Fall 2016 (PDF):
- IB Equivalents Accepted for Students Entering Summer or Fall 2015 (PDF):
- IB Equivalents Accepted for Students Entering Summer or Fall 2014 (PDF):
- IB Equivalents Accepted for Students Entering Summer or Fall 2013 (PDF):
- IB Equivalents Accepted for Students Entering Summer or Fall 2012 (PDF):
- IB Equivalents Accepted for Students Entering Summer or Fall 2011 (PDF):
CLEP is a national program that offers students credit by computer-based examination. This allows students to have the opportunity to obtain recognition for achievement in specific college courses. Students should request their official CLEP exam results directly from the College Board at: www.collegeboard.com. Virginia Tech’s CLEP school code is 5859. CLEP credit can be viewed on Hokie SPA under the grades menu. A maximum of 12 credit hours may be awarded.
Cambridge International exams, commonly known as A levels or AS levels, are administered by the University of Cambridge. Virginia Tech recognizes and gives credit for University of Cambridge International Exams based upon the receipt of an official certifying transcript. Students must request an official transcript directly from Cambridge International Examinations or other designated testing agency (Edexcel, etc.) and have this sent to the Office of the University Registrar. Credit will not be considered based on a high school transcript. Credit can be viewed on Hokie SPA under the grades menu. A maximum of 38 credit hours may be awarded.
Virginia Tech recognizes the German Abitur. Holders of the Abitur must have completed the 13th year and received Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife (Certificate of University Entrance). The University Registrar requires official translated transcripts. Subject electives are awarded for the Abitur. For consideration of specific Virginia Tech courses the student must provide syllabi (Note: no credit is awarded First-Year Writing). A maximum of 30 semester hours can be awarded.
Our office is located in Student Services Building, Suite 250. Our business hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday with the exception of holidays.
Office of the University Registrar (MC 0134)
Student Services Building, Suite 250, Virginia Tech
800 Washington St., SW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Phone: (540) 231-6252
- Virginia's State Parks - artwork by Margie Lucas - 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM 2nd floor west wing of Norris Hall
- Big Data Science Workshop - 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM Newman Library Multipurpose Room (first floor)
- VBW Classes End - 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- Residential (Blacksburg) Classes End - 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- Payday - 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM