How do I change my name?
- Complete a Request for Change in Name Form. Present a picture I.D. and legal documentation in support of the new name to our office.
- You may write a letter of request and send to our office. Please note that the letter should include specific instructions and legal (notarized) documentation. Notary's statement must certify the document to be a complete, full, true and exact reproduction of the original document. The following information must be included in the request:
- Complete legal name (former)
- Complete new legal name (current)
- Social Security Number and/or student identification number
- Dates of attendance at Virginia Tech
- Return address
- Daytime telephone number and/or email address
- Complete legal signature, reflecting full legal name
Please provide a copy of one type of documentation from each of the two areas:
|Area 1||Area 2|
|Birth Certificate||Driver's License|
|Marriage Certificate||Hokie Passport|
|Divorce Decree||International Passport|
|Court Order||U.S. Passport|
- When sending requests via mail (USPS or overnight service), supporting documentation must be notarized. If supporting documents are not notarized, the name change will not be processed.
- Note: If a student is currently or has ever been employed by Virginia Tech, he/she must provide a copy of his/her corrected Social Security card in addition to supporting documentation before the name change can be processed. If this is not provided, the name change will not be processed.
- Faxed requests will not be honored.
- Graduate Students will need to contact the Graduate School (firstname.lastname@example.org) or (540) 231-6691
- Vet Med students will need to contact the College of Veterinary Medicine (email@example.com) or (540) 231-7666.