Students may seek reclassification of their initial tuition classification, but residence or physical presence in Virginia primarily to attend the University does not entitle students to in-state tuition rates. Domicile should be established BEFORE one enters the University. Please note that if a student enters the University classified as an out-of-state student, s/he must present clear and convincing evidence to rebut the presumption that s/he is residing in the state primarily to attend school. Students seeking reclassification to in-state status must be prepared to pay the out-of-state tuition rate unless they are notified in writing that his/her status has been reclassified to in-state according to the Code of Virginia.
An Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates must be completed and supporting documentation attached to be considered for reclassification for in-state tuition. A final decision cannot be made until all requested documentation and a complete Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates has been received in the Office of the University Registrar. An appointment or interview is not required to determine your domiciliary status for reclassification cases; however, you may be contacted by the Domicile Coordinator to clarify information and/or provide additional information. If you have questions about the application, laws, or process and want to meet with a staff member, you should call the number listed at the top of this sheet to schedule an appointment. Please allow a minimum of 30 working days after your application is complete for processing.
Our office is located in Student Services Building, Suite 250. Our business hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday with the exception of holidays.
Office of the University Registrar (MC 0134)
Student Services Building, Suite 250, Virginia Tech
800 Washington St., SW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Phone: (540) 231-6252
- Virginia's State Parks - artwork by Margie Lucas - 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM 2nd floor west wing of Norris Hall
- Art in the Garden: Four Seasons in Blacksburg with Anne Hammond-Tooke - 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Peggy Lee Hahn Garden Pavilion
- Moss Arts Center exhibitions: Artists and Architecture - 10:00 AM - 5:30 PM Moss Arts Center
- Corps of Cadets Blood Drive - 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM Squires Old Dominion Ballroom
- Art Exhibit: "Hope" Annual Children and Teen Art Exhibit Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King Junior - 12:00 PM - 9:00 PM Squires Perspective Gallery